The Postgraduate University Study Programme Civil Engineering is a study programme designed with the goal of acquiring the academic degree of a Doctor of Science (PhD) in the scientific area of Technical Sciences, scientific field of Civil Engineering and the scientific field of Fundamental Technical Sciences.
It is implemented pursuant to the Permit issued by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia (CLASS: UP/I-602-04/07-13/00006, REGISTRY NUMBER: 533-07-07-0004) of 19 July 2007, the Study Programme is being implemented at the seat of the institute of higher education.
Duration and completion of the Study Programme
The usual duration of the full-time study programme is three years, however, if there are justified reasons and with an explanation, it can be extended to five years. The duration of the part-time study programme is no longer than five years, however, if there are justified reasons and with an explanation, it can be extended to seven years.
After completing the study programme, the student will acquire 180 ECTS credits.
A student will complete the study programme after a successful public defence of their doctoral thesis. The doctoral thesis is an independently made original paper made by the applicant, which proves that they conducted independent scientific research with the application of scientific methods and which represents a scientific contribution to the scientific area of Technical Sciences or the scientific field of Civil Engineering. After creating a doctoral thesis in which they will present their scientific contribution, the student will prove themselves as a scientist in their area of research.
The Study Programme is a permanent investment which ensures the acquisition of the highest quality scientific education in the scientific field of Civil Engineering, which is based on scientific research, by completing the Study Programme and participating in organised scientific-research activities.
Organisation of the Study Programme
The Study Programme is implemented through mandatory and elective curricular and extracurricular activities. Curricular activities teach the students who are attending the postgraduate study programme professional scientific and transferrable skills like: academic writing, presenting their work, forms of citing publications and designing scientific papers. The extracurricular activities consist of the student’s scientific-research work and their scientific publications.
At enrolment, the applicant must select one of the offered modules (majors):
- Load-Bearing Structures
- Organisation, Technology and Management of Construction
- Engineering Mechanics
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Transportation engineering and geotechnics
Learning outcomes of the study programmes
The learning outcomes which are acquired by completing individual study obligations, study majors, and the entire study programmes adhere to the standards determined as part of the project titled “Development and Preparation of the Croatian Qualification Framework in the Area of Higher Education of Civil Engineers” (contract number: HR.3.1.15-0025), which is helmed by the Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture Osijek. More at: http://www.okvir-hko.com/.
- Recognising, defining and formulating the research problem;
- Conducting critical analysis, evaluation, and synthetisation of new and complex research ideas;
- Demonstrating a systematic understanding of the area covered by the study programme and a high level of knowledge in the specialised area;
- Independently conducting a scientific research study;
- Independently constructing an experimental model and a measuring instrument;
- Applying specific knowledge for generating new knowledge and new research projects;
- Publishing scientific papers;
- Taking responsibility for conducting research and for the social benefits of the research results;
- Accepting the most complex tasks in their working environment;
- Applying ethical principles in research.
Important documents and acts related to the Study Programme:
IMPORTANT: In case of discrepancies between content and information in Croatian and English, the Croatian variant is relevant.